Few Ways To Prevent A Dry Mouth
Request An Appointment
Causes of Dry Mouth
Listed are a few common reasons why your mouth may feel dehydrated most of the time.
- Stress and anxiety are major contributors of a dry mouth. It is quite normal to experience a dry mouth when faced with stressful situations whether it is going in for an interview or going for that dream date!
- Certain medicines cause the mouth due to its composition. So, it is always a good idea to ask your healthcare professional for any dry mouth side effects before starting on a prescribed medicine.
- Chronic illnesses like Parkinson’s, diabetes, HIV/AIDS can cause dry mouth.
- Head and neck injuries can cause nerve damage that signal the salivary glands.
- Dehydration is the most common reason that causes this condition.
- Drugs and alcohol use can leave your mouth extremely dry.
- Tobacco leads to dehydration, sore tongue which causes multiple oral health complications including dry mouth.
Schedule An Appointment
Symptoms of Dry Mouth
Dry mouth, scientifically known as xerostomia, can be either short lived or chronic. It is a feeling that leaves you parched, always extending for a sip of water to keep moisture within your oral cavity. Salvia helps in neutralizing the mouth – hence, a dry mouth causes bacteria to build up resulting in other oral conditions like decay and bad breath. Here are some more symptoms that can be visible with having a dry mouth.
- Difficulty speaking, swallowing and eating
- Cracked lips
- Dry throat
- Sticky sensation
- Mouth sores
- Rough and inflamed tongue
If you experience any of the symptoms combined due to having a dry mouth, speak to your dental professional about treatment options,
Remedies for Dry Mouth
While dry mouth is a treatable condition, timely diagnosis of an underlying cause can help creating a personalized treatment care. However, if you are experiencing a dry mouth, here is a list of measures you can take to help alleviate this condition.
- Avoid drinking water at extreme temperatures
- Drink room temperature beverages
- Avoid carbonated drinks
- Avoid tobacco and other drug usage
- Lessen alcohol consumption
- Avoid mouthwashes containing alcohol
- Keep check of your vitamins
- Improved oral hygiene like regular brush and floss
- Chew sugarless candy or gum
- Use an air humidifier
- Over the counter saliva substitutes – drops or spray
- Nasal wash
- Fiber laxatives
Real Patient Reviews
See what our happy patients say about us
4.9 Avg Rating
805 Total Reviews
Review from W.B.
Review from K.S.
Review from K.G.
Review from W.B.
Dry mouth can be caused by a variety of underlying issues that need professional diagnosis or can lead to other oral health issues like tooth decay or bad breath. Maintaining good oral hygiene is central to issues with dry mouth. It can also be catered through multiple lifestyle changes and medicinal steps.
If dry mouth starts to become an inconvenience for you, direct your concerns to Ace Dental Texas for professional assessment, diagnosis and care. Dial us at (833) 777 – 7ACE for booking an appointment. You can visit our website to look for our offices near you!